Sunday, March 13, 2011

Attack the Block

While waiting in line to see this film, I spotted a young lady clearly in distress on the major party/club street near the theater. Being who I am, I ran over to help. I really don't know what had happened, but she was in tears, was stumbling, and just needed assistance. Eventually another girl agrees to walk her to a friend's place and I get back in line.

Then I get into Attack the Block, and almost right away one of the main characters (Moses) mugs another (Sam) at knife point. The whole rest of the film revolves around Sam being forced to rely on Moses for safety against the alien threat, until eventually she can learn to trust and care for him. Maybe it was just the particular circumstances of my evening, but I just couldn't get over the initial assault in the limited 70-minutes I was expected to do so. Unlike in real life, I tend to want bad guys to get their faces ripped off in film, so having him become the bad good guy was too much.

Other than that hang-up, there's not really all that much bad about the film. I think it has gotten really good reviews from most other people who have seen it, so if you can keep real life separate from the screen you might like it as well.

I can say that I appreciated the fact that Nick Frost came to the screening. He really only has a minor part in the film, and I know he was here for the Paul North American premiere the next day, but I feel more strongly for actors who bother to support their films at real fan screenings.

Attack the Block
2011, 97 minutes, directed by Joe Cornish

Director Joe Cornish introducing the second screening of Attack the Block.

Nick Frost at Attack the Block.

No comments: