Saturday, March 19, 2011

My Sucky Team Romance

Here it is, my last film of the festival.  The director and nearly the entire cast is still here, which shows dedication.  (Also, it shows most of them live locally.)  I've heard of director Emily Hagins from the documentary of her first film, made when she was 12.  This is her third film, the last one she hoped to fit in before she graduated from high school.  Vampires are real, they are in town, and they've turned Paul and his coworker Allison.  They're only hope to reverse the conversion lies at the local sci-fi convention.  For Kate, it's her last weekend in town, and she heads to the convention with her friends, not expecting to find her crush Paul...

Still drawing talent mostly from her own school, some of the acting is amateur, and I note some dubbing problems and an unusually low-budget set.  But Emily herself is very well-spoken, has put tremendous effort into the film through more roles than any one person should, and is already planning for her future.  I think, with a good mentor or time spent at college, it will be a very bright future for her indeed.

My Sucky Teen Romance
2011, 77 minutes, directed by Emily Hagins

Leaving the Rollings Theater after the film, I discover that the shuttle system has completely broken down.  The shuttle stop - supposedly moved to be a block away, is unlabeled and unstaffed - so it's a long walk back to S. Lamar and my car.  If they plan to keep using this theater, SXSW better fix this for next year.

No comments: