Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Foo Fighters

I love the Foo Fighters.  They are of my era, from my college years.  I was near the front of the line to see the world premiere of this documentary, and was surprised with an unexplained wristband and strong suggestion to "show up at Stubb's by 9 o'clock".  Suddenly my plans for the evening changed, and I was destined to enjoy a two hour set of Foo Fighters music.  Many, many photos follow the film review.

But, back to the film.  There are several types of documentaries.  Some filmmakers like to insert themselves into the film.  Some are focused on a thing (like mushrooms) or people (like Ed Roth) and like to use silly graphics and animation.  Some rely on archived footage and interviews to create a story.  To create a good documentary, the filmmaker has to choose the correct style for the subject.  But, just as import, the subject itself must be interesting.  Last year's film about the Doors was fascinating in that it featured a lot of old footage of Jim Morrison, narrated by Johnny Depp, and told the story of a great rise and fall.

Unfortunately, in this case the subject and style just doesn't prove to be all that interesting.  Much of the film is an encyclopedic recitation of member changes:
  • interview with Dave Grohl who says former band member A wasn't working out
  • interview with former band member A who says they aren't sure why they were kicked out
  • interview with Dave Grohl saying how he let them know
  • back ground on replacement band member D
Also, too, the story isn't done.  (Not that I want it to be - I do love the Foo Fighters.)  A work in progress documentary tends to end with a lot of time focused on recent events - in this case the crafting of their latest album.  That makes the second half of the film seem like a big advertisement.

Finally, the summation is weak.  Dave Grohl says, "I feel bad about the bad things, but I feel good about the good things."  Then the film ends.  There's no lessons to learn, no arcs to close out.  They could at least have focused on how Pat Smear is back with the band (not replacing, but complementing Chris Shiflett).  As it was I felt let down.

But then, I went to the concert!  Lots of pictures follow.  Go buy their new album!

Foo Fighters
2011, 100 minutes, directed by James Moll

No comments: