Thursday, September 24, 2009

Solomon Kane

Harry and the director wanted to be clear right off the bat that this film was new material, not drawn from any source novel, so as to preclude offense taken by the fanboys in the room. As I have no history with the content, that was unimportant to me. What I wanted to see was a kickass sword and sorcery adventure without the silliness or self-mocking-awareness all too often present in such films, and I got just what I wanted. The director shaped the film brilliantly with the resources he had, and the acting and photography brought it home. If it hits as well with a general audience (fingers crossed) as it did with me, this should become a series to follow.

Michael J. Bassett is a very eloquent director able to convey his passion for this material. Were I a producer, I'd want to bring him on and unleash that passion on my intellectual property.

Solomon Kane
2009, directed by Michael J. Bassett

No comments: