Saturday, March 14, 2009

Objectified

I didn't notice that this was from the same director as Helvetica, a quality documentary from SXSW a few years past. He apparently, as he put it, "still had questions [he] wanted to explore about design."

This is a documentary style I like. Quality production, smooth pacing, a topic interesting yet unfamiliar, touching on cultural icons to which I readily relate. The directed did a wonderful job picking designers to feature.

From my notes, an enjoyable quote, from the designer of the Umbra trash can (of which we have two in our house): "There's been a million chairs designed. Why on earth is there an uncomfortable chair? There is no excuse."

And another quote, from another designer: Create a marketing campaign for things you already own. "Why not enjoy them today?"

I really liked this film, and I think my wife will like it a lot, too. Given his indication of a third design story underway, I look forward to completion of the trilogy.

Objectified
2009, 76 minutes, directed by Gary Hustwit

No comments: