Saturday, March 14, 2009

The 2 Bobs

SXSW has come again, and with it a week of movies that I've never heard of but will see and, maybe, enjoy. The vacation situation at work leaves me with none, so I'm juggling evening/weekend films with a full-time job this year.

The opening night film, Love You Man, is one-too-many Paul Rudd / Jason Segal comedies for me, so instead I went for locally made, no-budget comedy The 2 Bobs. Filled with language and nudity and local Austin product placement, the film does tremendously well for its resources. Note "Samurai Sam" in Vertical Bob's office; his usual locale is the reception area of my wife's former employer.

The film is a bit disjointed, and filled just a little too much with stupid people doing nonsensical things in a panicked fashion, with gratuitous nudity and language . Horizontal Bob, Devin Ratray, said in the Q&A, "It's the only time I've been on a set, where the writer is embarrased to hear his own dialog." It's funy, but very local, very independent - not suitable for wide consumption.

The 2 Bobs
2009, 86 minutes (SXSW cut), directed by Tim McCanlies

No comments: