Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Announcement

AIDS is the medical story of our generation. It appeared as a modern-day plague, became a death sentence, then evolved into a tragic yet chronic and manageable disease. And for all of that Earvin "Magic" Johnson was there. I didn't follow basketball and I knew about his announcement. November 7, 1991. Other than a lady who spoke at an assembly at my junior high, he was the only person I knew who had AIDS/HIV. And yet, over the years, he didn't...die. I saw this today to understand why.

What I got was so much more, focused on his uplifting spirit. At first I wasn't sure about having Magic narrate his own film, but ultimately as a story of optimism there's no better choice. And for the record, he takes the exact same cocktail as everyone else lucky enough to have insurance and treatment.

The Announcement
2012, 75 minutes, directed by Nelson George

No comments: