Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Greatest Movie Ever Sold

I admit, I'm a Morgan Spurlock fan.  I understood and agreed with his point of view in Super Size Me.  I enjoyed his brief television series 30 Days.  With that full disclosure out of the way, I really enjoyed his latest film, POM Wonderful Presents the Greatest Movie Ever Sold.

Honestly the product placement isn't any more obtrusive than typical television.  If anything, it's better.  TV shows usually have one or two product sponsors, and those items stand out in a show otherwise devoid of specifics and filled with prop vendors and conspicuous black tape.  Here, the film was filled with advertisements, some subtle and some not, but that represents real life.  Just looking for corporate logos in my point of view right now, I see logos for: Texas Instruments, Seagate, LG, Dell, LEGO, Logitech, Optek, National Instruments.  I tune them out in life; make them prevalent enough in film and I'll tune them out there as well.

Morgan doesn't go into this film with a cause to bash over our heads.  Yes, there's some commentary about advertisement directed toward children, especially advertisement at school, but overall he takes the view that it's part of life, always there, and something you might as well use when offered.  It's a very reasonable position, something I admire from a documentary filmmaker.

The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
2011, 90 minutes, directed by Morgan Spurlock

No comments: