Thursday, September 20, 2007

Cronoscrimines (Timecrimes)

I'm a sucker for sci fi, and time travel is a big sub-genre. Time travel movies can be divided into two camps - those where you can change history, and those where you can't. The latter category is much harder to pull off, because the same scene shot multiple times can look cheesy with continuity flaws. This movie falls into the "cannot change history" category, but I have to say that the entire film just feels "tight". Nothing obvious jumped out that distracted me from the strange but intriguing story.

"How do you change things if you can't change anything?" That was the question director Nacho Vigalondo posed during the Q&A after this world premiere. I think he answered that question well, and I'd recommend this movie to anyone who likes the genre. As this was the first showing of the first movie from this director, I certainly expect to see more good things from him.

Cronoscrimines (Timecrimes)
2007, 88 minutes, directed by Nacho Vigalondo

No comments: