Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Confetti of the Mind: The Short Films of Nacho Vigalondo

Maudie's makes my favorite breakfast tacos.  Their salsa is okay, and Pete's tacos are pretty good, but when you put them together something magical happens and the result is delicious.  Having Fantastic Fest back at the Alamo South Lamar puts us again next to Maudie's, and it's good to taste the joy again.

Nacho Vigalondo makes some of my favorite Fantastic Fest films.  Normally, I'm not a huge fan of shorts.  I don't usually bother to review them, except when assembled together into a "feature", as these have been by Drafthouse Films, complete with director introductions and commentary.  Drafthouse Films itself has a pretty poor reputation for me.  They tend to buy films just on the wrong side of funny, the ones too /much/ of whatever they are, to the point that they're just not good any more, at least for those outside the Cult of Tim.

So when the Drafthouse assembles a compilation of Nacho's shorts, ranging from early experiments to his Oscar-nominated "7:35 in the Morning" to recent productions, something magical happens.  They're short films that are good, fit and tied together by narration and my warm history of his work, assembled by Drafthouse because of his relationship with the festival.  I'm happy Fantastic Fest has come home to Nacho Vigalondo and I can experience these shorts again.

Confetti of the Mind: The Short Films of Nacho Vigalondo
2014 compilation, 57 minutes, directed by Nacho Vigalondo

No comments: