Friday, July 18, 2008

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

I saw Hellboy II: The Golden Army a few days ago. I haven't posted anything about it because I haven't felt much about it.

To be clear, like most of these comic book conversions, I have no history with the franchise. In this case I saw the first film in the theater on a whim. It was ok - campy - but with sufficient cuteness in the plot and characters. Demon who likes kittens, hah.

This time though, I just didn't feel it. People who drench themselves in the series probably got a kick out of Red and Blue getting drunk and singing love songs together. I just didn't get it. There seem to be plot drivers - like the public opinion of Hellboy - that appear to drive the story then vanish again without resolution. Honestly, I just don't think this was a good Hellboy story to tell. I'm sure there are others that would have made a better movie.

I'll try again next week when the next superhero movie releases.

Hellboy II: The Golden Army
2008, 120 minutes, directed by Guillermo del Toro

No comments: